Navigate Up
Sign In

Travelling to other EEA Member

For temporary visitors from Malta traveling to other EEA Member States 

Are you planning to travel to another EU member state as a tourist? Or on a short business trip? Or to study temporarily? Are you being posted there temporarily by a Maltese employer or are you unemployed and going to look for work?
There are arrangements throughout the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland for coordinating the health care systems of the member states. Keep in mind however, that few countries offer straightforward and free access to medical facilities and administrative requirements vary between Member State’s health systems.
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is the passport to free or reduced cost medical treatment needed during temporary visits in:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (including Gibraltar).
The EHICs of every member state have a standard format; they are recognized and understood by all countries, irrespective of in which language they are issued. The purpose of the EHIC is to facilitate access to medical care during the holder’s temporary stay in another Member State, and to speed up reimbursement of the costs incurred. It does not contain any medical information about the holder (e.g. blood group, medical history, etc.)
Am I entitled to the EHIC?
You are eligible to obtain the EHIC if you are an ordinarily resident in Malta and you are: 
​Covered by the national Social Security legislation. 
If you are currently working in Malta, but pay social security contributions in another EEA country, that country will issue you the EHIC.
Note: If you are not an EEA citizen, stateless person or refugee, you can use the EHIC in all the above-mentioned countries except Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.
What treatment is covered?
The EHIC covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your stay because of either illness or an accident. This includes emergency treatment, maternity care (provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth), and acute treatment of a chronic disease or pre-existing illness that becomes necessary during your visit.
You must make advance arrangements with the healthcare institution in the country you are visiting before you leave Malta if you will need: 
  • Renal dialysis (Contact Mater Dei Renal Unit for further information) 
  • Oxygen therapy (supplies and equipment) on or soon after arrival, particularly if you are going to remote areas.


IMPORTANT: The EHIC does NOT cover you if the purpose of your visit is to get medical treatment including visits to give birth or to seek a second opinion.
You can access any treatment necessary on medical grounds under the state healthcare system of the country you visit. It allows you to be treated on the same basis as a resident of the country you are visiting. While some countries offer free treatment, others ask the patient to pay a fee or a partial payment. In the latter countries, holders of the EHIC form will also have to pay the relative amount.
How do I use the EHIC?
Keep it in a safe place and always carry it with you, with your passport or ID card. Present these documents to the state healthcare provider (for example doctor, dentist, hospital) when you seek treatment. If you do not present the EHIC, you will have to pay the full costs yourself and may not be able to get a refund afterwards.
What will I have to pay?
You will get treatment on the same financial basis as local residents covered for state healthcare in the EEA country you visit. Each country has its own rules. In some, services are provided free of charge. In others, people have to pay part of the costs themselves when treatment is provided and this charge is non-refundable. Or they may have to pay the full costs first and claim a partial refund afterwards. You may find a list of EEA countries and what you will be entitled for in each country by visiting the website.
How do I claim a refund?
Keep all your original bills, prescriptions, receipts, medicine boxes and any other documents. Apply to the appropriate authority in the country that treated you while you are there. Otherwise apply through the Entitlement Unit when you return and we will liaise with the foreign authorities on your behalf.
Do I still need private insurance?
The EHIC complements private insurance but is not a substitute for it. It never covers the cost of bringing you back in Malta in the event of serious illness, accident or death. In some countries even with an EHIC you may still be faced with large bills to cover your costs. Private insurance therefore, is still highly recommended.
Contact details:
Entitlement Unit
Ground Floor
Ex-Outpatient Block
St Luke's Hospital
G'Mangia Hill,
Tel: 2595 2400  
Opening hours: 
Mondays to Fridays
Between 8.00 – 13.00
This information gives general guidance o​nly. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of European Community Law.